On this page you can select from the variety of condolence phrases to compose your personal sympathy message. The beginning of the letter is known as the salutation or greeting and the most popular forms it takes are listed below. Once you choose the greeting, you can choose phrases from subsequent sections to build a complete letter.
- Dear _______,
- Dear Mr. _______,
- Dear Mrs. _______,
- Dear Mr. and Mrs. _______,
- My Dear Friend _______,
- Dear Aunt _______,
- Dear Uncle _______,
- Dear Aunt _______ and Uncle _______,
- Dear Pastor _______,
- Dear Reverend _______,
- Dear Rabbi _______,
- Dear Father _______,
- Dear Reverend and Mrs. _______,
- My Dear Friends _______ and _______,
- Dearest _______,
- Dearest _______ and _______,
- Dear _______ and Family
- Dear Cousin _______,
Things to Say First
- My sincere condolences on the loss of your _______, you are in my prayers.
- To The _______ family, I extend my heartfelt sympathy.
- Our prayers and heartfelt condolences go out to our family for the loss of _______.
- Dear _______ and _______, my condolences and prayers of comfort go out to you.
- My condolences to you and your loved ones at this sad time.
- I am saddened to hear of _______'s passing.
- My sincere deep condolence to all of you.
- I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
- Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of your _______.
Condolence Phrases for the Body of a Letter
- _____ was an extraordinary man/woman. There are many in the community who will deeply mourn his/her passing as his/her was a life of service, love, compassion and excellence. May he/she rest in peace.
- I will always remember your _____ as a loving and caring _____who always had a smile to help brighten your day.
- _____ was truly a gem and always a pleasure to be around. I will remember him/her for his/her zest for life, smile, and kindness.
- I will always remember_____’s kindness and that special glowing smile which was contagious with anyone he/she came in contact with.
- _____‘s up beat personality will always be remembered. You have our sympathy for your loss.
- I have many fond memories of _____’s effervescent personality and know he/she will be greatly missed.
- We are saddened to hear of _____‘s passing. She/he was a wonderful person and we will always remember her/him fondly.
- So sorry to hear the news of _____'s passing. She/he will be greatly missed at _____.
Phrases for Offering Help
An offer to help is generally appreciated by the bereaved, especially if you are a close neighbor or friend.
- _____ and I will come over on _____ and help to deal with the incoming phone calls.
- I will accompany you on _____ to the funeral parlor.
- I’m making a big pot of goulash and will drop it by so that you don’t have to cook for a few days.
- I thought I would set up a website in memory of _____. I’ll need some pictures so I’ll stop by on _____ and we can pick some out together.
- I’ve been attending support meetings since my _____ died. I’d love for you to join me after the funeral.
- I’ll pick up the children for _____ on _____, and later take them with me and my kids for hamburgers after.
Final Thoughts for a Letter of Condolence
- We are praying for all of you at this time.
- My prayers and thoughts are with you.
- Our sympathy and thoughts are with you.
- Know that you are in my thoughts and in my prayers.
- May the love of friends and family carry you through your grief.
- Remembering you and your loved one today and always,
- May your many memories of _____ help to sustain you at this most difficult time,
- You are in my thoughts and prayers and my heart aches for your loss.
- Please accept our heartfelt condolences that we hope will help you through this difficult time.
- May you always hold fond memories of your time together.
Condolence Phrases for Social Media
- Our thoughts are with you and your family during this sorrowful time.
- Thinking of you at this most difficult time. You have my deepest condolences.
- I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved _____. May you find the comfort and strength to cope.
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you face this very sad time.
- Our condolences to the _____ family on the passing of _____.
- I an very sorry to hear of your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family.
- I am very saddened by the news of _____'s passing. You have my heartfelt sympathies.
- My condolences to you on the passing of your _____. He/she will be forever in your hearts.
Famous Quotes You Can Use as Condolence Phrases
- “In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing.” Robert Ingersoll
- “He kept at true good humour's mark, the social flow of pleasure's tide: He never made a brow look dark, nor caused a tear, but when he died.” Thomas Love Peacock
- “Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts.” Charles Dickens
- “Tears are God’s gift to us. Our holy water. They heal us as they flow.” Rita Schiano
- “With what a deep devotedness of woe I wept thy absence - o'er and o'er again, Thinking of thee, still thee, till thought grew pain, And memory, like a drop that, night and day, Falls cold and ceaseless, wore my heart away!” Thomas Moore
- “It is the will of God and Nature that these mortal bodies be laid aside, when the soul is to enter into real life; 'tis rather an embryo state, a preparation for living; a man is not completely born until he be dead: Why then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals?” Benjamin Franklin
- “Good-night! good-night! as we so oft have said, Beneath this roof at midnight, in the days That are no more, and shall no more return., Thou hast but taken up thy lamp and gone to bed; I stay a little longer, as one stays, To cover up the embers that still burn.”! Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.” Author Unknown
Use Biblical Verses and Religious Sayings
The following Biblical verses make excellent condolence phrases for use in a letter.
- “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:18-31
- “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18
- "Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come. For those who follow godly paths will rest in peace when they die.” Isaiah 57:1-2
- "Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope." 1 Thessalonians 4:13
- "Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
- “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” Revelation 21:1-27
Common Misspellings Used in Condolence Phrases
Make sure you avoid these common spelling mistakes if substituting your own words for any in our samples.