Famous Sympathy Quotes to Use in Sympathy Letters
Quotes by famous individuals sometimes express a sentiment better than we can ourselves. Following is a list of sympathy quotes that can be used for sympathy letters, sympathy cards, and even to express condolences by social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Other words of condolence resources you might find helpful:
- Phrase Examples - What to say to the bereaved in cards and letters
- Funeral Planning Guide and Checklist E-Book (Now Free) - Save thousands of dollars while still paying your deepest respects for the deceased
- Words of Comfort for Sympathy Examples - Say the right words to comfort people during a difficult time
- Eulogy Poem Examples - Write a beautiful eulogy with inspiration from our many examples
- Sympathy Words and Sayings Examples - Say the right thing to express your sympathies correctly
- Letter Examples - Examples of what to write to someone that has recently lost someone
- Messages Examples - The etiquette of writing and saying sympathy messages to the bereaved
Short Sympathy Quote Examples
"Accordingly, death is a harbor of peace for the just, but is believed a shipwreck for the wicked." By Ambrose (c. 333-397)
"A grave is braced not just by a tombstone but by angels as well.” By Adabella Radici
"A human life is a story told by God." By Hans Christian Andersen
"Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow." Author Unknown
"And with the morn those angel faces smile which I have loved long since and lost awhile." By John Henry Newman
"As you comprehend this profound loss, let yourself cry knowing each tear is a note of love rising to the heavens." Author Unknown
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." By George S. Patton
"Death is a Dialogue between, The Spirit and the Dust." By Emily Dickinson
"Death . . . is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see." By Helen Keller
"Death is only a launching into the region of the strange Untried; it is but the first salutation to the possibilities of the immense Remote, the Wild, the Watery, the Unshored." By Herman Melville
"Death is only a larger kind of going abroad." By Samuel Butler
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” From a Headstone in Ireland
"Death is the most blessed dream." By Georg Büchner
"Each small task of everyday life is part of the total harmony of the universe." By Saint Terese of Lisieux
"For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity." By William Penn
"Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind." By C. S. Lewis
"He spoke well who said that graves are the footprints of angels." By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man." By Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.” By Aeschylus
"However long the night, the dawn will break." African Proverb
"I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love." By Leo Buscaglia
"If the future seems overwhelming, remember that it comes one moment at a time." By Beth Mende Conny
"In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing." By Robert Ingersoll
"It is the will of God and Nature that these mortal bodies be laid aside, when the soul is to enter into real life; 'tis rather an embryo state, a preparation for living; a man is not completely born until he be dead: Why then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals?" By Benjamin Franklin
"Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight." By Rossiter Worthington Raymond
"Maybe [deaths] are not exits after all. Maybe they are holes through which something pours in, a love so far beyond our ken that we can only stand there, mute, riven, blessed." By Brian Doyle
"Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains." By Kahlil Gibran
"Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know that are happy.” Inuit Proverb
"The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God." By Eileen Elias Freeman
"The strongest have their moments of fatigue." By Friedrich Nietzsche
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice." By George Elliott
"There is no death. Only a change of worlds." By Chief Seattle
"They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies." By William Penn
"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die." By Thomas Campbell
"Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality." By Emily Dickinson
"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey." By Kenji Miyazawa
"When it seems that our sorrow is too great to be borne, let us think of the great family of the heavy-hearted into which our grief has given us entrance. And inevitably, we will feel about us their arms, their sympathy and their understanding." By Helen Keller
"When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure." Author Unknown
"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight." By Kahlil Gibran
"While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil." By John Taylor
"You don't get over it, you just get through it. You don't get by it, because you can't get around it. It doesn't 'get better'; it just gets different. Everyday... Grief puts on a new face...." By Wendy Feireisen
Additional Sympathy Quotes to Express Condolences
These sympathy quotes can be used with the ones above to form a complete sympathy letter.
- Our deepest condolences to you upon the passing of _______.
- So sorry to hear of _______'s passing.
- Please accept our heartfelt condolences on the loss of your loved one.
- Words can't express how saddened we are to hear of your loss.
- Our sincere condolences to you and your family.
- We pray the love of God enfolds you during this difficult time
- May your many memories of _______ help to sustain you at this most difficult time.
- You are in our prayers during this difficult time in the loss of your dear _______
- It was with great sadness that we learned of _______'s passing; please accept our heartfelt
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this sad time. I will always remember _____ fondly and have wonderful memories of many times spent with you all during the younger years! He leaves behind a wonderful family and I know you will all be a great source of comfort and support to one another.
- We were so sorry to hear about _____'s passing. We hope that the love of family and friends will comfort and strengthen you in the days ahead.
- So sorry to hear this sad news. We will miss _____ at the lake this summer. Thinking of you and your family at this time.
- My condolences to you and your family on the passing of your _____. It is never easy to lose a parent, no matter your age. I pray for your peace and comfort as you continue your life journey without your _____'s earthly presence.
- Condolences to your family on the passing of your brother/sister. He/she will always be in our hearts.
- Words are never adequate in moments like these. We will say though, that our hearts go out to you, and we will always remember the joyous memories that we are privileged to have in knowing your _____.
- May God's peace be with you. Cherish the memories you created with _____. I will always remember him/her for her caring and loving nature.
- Our condolences to you at this sad time. Your _____ was a wonderful man/woman. He/She always had a beautiful smile. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Common Misspellings of Sympathy Quotes
Makes sure you avoid these common spelling mistakes if substituting your own words for any in our sympathy quotes.